Coffee In The Gourd by J. Frank Dobie
Coffee In The Gourd
J. Frank Dobie
The articles reflect the cultural diversity of Texas, including articles on African-American, Tejano, German and Native American folklore. One of the highlights is an interview with W.C. Handy, 'the father of the blues;' the lyrics in this piece foreshadow some of the great rock compositions of the sixties. The articles vary widely from academic to amateur in tone. As usual, the original text has been transcribed verbatim. It reflects the time and place in which it was written, and includes ethnic terms and characterizations which today would be considered wildly offensive, even in an ethnographic context.
Table Of Content
01. Rebaptized In Ink
02. The Texas Folk-Lore Society Since 1916
03. Texas Legends Number For 1924
04. One Evening As I Sat Courting, by L.W. Payne. Jr.
05. Human Foundation Sacrifices In Balkan Ballads, by Max Sylvius Handman
06. The Decline and Decadence of Folk Metaphor, by W. H. Thomas
07. Indian Pictographs of the Big Bend in Texas, by Victor J. Smith
08. The Cowboy Dance By J. R. Craddock
09. Miscellany of Texas Folk-Lore, by W. P. Webb
10. Brazos Bottom Philosophy, by A. W. Eddins
11. The ''Blues'' As Folk-Songs, by Dorothy Scarborough
13. Customs Among the German Descendants of Gillespie County, by Julia Estill
14. Customs And Superstitions Among Texas Mexicans on the Rio Grande Border, by Florence Johnson Scott
15. Pedro and Pancho, by Mrs. Mary A. Sutherland
16. Weather Wisdom of the Texas-Mexican Border, by J. Frank Dobie
tags: Coffee In The Gourd by J. Frank Dobie eBOOK; Coffee In The Gourd ePUB; Coffee In The Gourd book review; Coffee In The Gourd book summaries; book recommendations; book review blogs; book summary websites; Coffee In The Gourd J. Frank Dobie pdf; Coffee In The Gourd Audiobook; J. Frank Dobie; Historical books.